Sunday, July 17, 2011

Book 15 "Atonement"



Atonement by Ian McEwan


Listed on the top 100 Novels of "All Time" by Time Magazine.

I finally had a chance to work my way through "Atonement".

A story of two sisters at odds after the younger made up a story to send the older sisters boyfriend to jail for a crime he didn't commit. The rest of the story dives into the chaos of World War II and the guilt of a sister trying to gain forgiveness for her past sins.


The book was a bit wordy and chewy for the first 100 pages. In fact, I would even dare to say "Dull". I almost stopped reading the book but was brought into the story after the crime was committed. However, after some character building and development the author takes the reader through a series of detailed events and conflicts and progresses to its epic ending.


Considering the book was written in 2002, it could possibly be seen as "Literature of our time" So I was happy to add it to the 365 Challenge. I WOULD NOT rank it amongst the top testosterone reads of all time. But, if Jane Austin were still around I'm confident she would include it in her top 10 reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment